[Distutils] Packaging Distribute

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 23:10:30 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I won't run a new poll again, Distribute is the name.
>>
>> Besides, it's already on page #1 on google when I type 'python
>> disribute' or 'distribute python'
>
> *shrugs*
>
> I will state now that I will fight tooth and nail before anything called
> "distribute" gets into the stdlib that has nothing to do with distribution.

Not to slash turpentine on an already painted bikeshed, but since the
project's aim is to be a module distribution manager for Python, I
like the name "modisty" (*mod*ule *dist*ribution manager for
P*y*thon).

In cases where it refuses to install a package for some reason, it
could claim that "modisty forbids" such an action [snicker]. :)

By the way, regarding name changes, even big projects change names
every now and then (Xorg and Wireshark spring to mind) and seem to get
their Google ranking back pretty quickly. Google's very good about
noticing when things change.

---John