[Distutils] [Python-Dev] Bits-of-Distribute naming

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 22:09:10 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Fred Drake <fdrake at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>>> distutils.entrypoints would seem to be the sensible place.
>> Why's that?  On the whole, I don't think entry points are specific to
>> building & bundling, which is what distutils is all about.
>> Entry points are about packages being able to provide metadata about
>> how parts of them can be used.  I'd rather see a pkgutil.entrypoint
>> module with APIs for this.
> +1. It seems to me that pkgutil is the right place in the core for
> most of the "general utility" aspects of setuptools.

In any case, adding entry points in the stdlib is premature.

It's a plugin discovery system based on reading and writing an extra
file located in the egg-info *directory* of an installled

And that's setuptools installation format, not Distutils' current
(where egg-info is the PKG-INFO *file*)

Once PEP 376 is finished and accepted, then we can think about it, but
until then, this feature has to live on Distribute side.