[Distutils] Problem with distribute and converting tests for python3

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Oct 11 23:34:43 CEST 2009

My problem with having unit tests included in a binary distribution is
that they take up space and have no way to be run, so can certainly be
called a waste of space. OK, may be they could be run by a user
importing the correct modules, etc, I meant no simple way (eg. as done
in a source package with the command
$ setup.py test
). Also anyway what would the reason be for a user to run tests on the
binary module, I (or another developer in the cases of modified
versions) should have run the tests before distributing the binary
package. Source distributions are a different matter in my mind, someone
can modify it and so having tests is useful.

OK, to possible solutions:
1. Distribute offers the keyword argument "convert_2to3_doctests", may
be it could have one to give test directory, and then .py files in that
could be converted.
2. As setuptools automatically includes test/test*.py, why can't
distribute actually compile these files as well (I question whether
tests in a test directory should be prefixed with test, but I don't have
a really strong view should people disagree).

May be even both of those could be combined, so if a test directory is
not specified then test/test*.py is the default (if such a directory
exists).

As a note: my views of structuring a source distribution and not
including tests in binary distributions may be influenced by my java
programming, hope that helps explain where I may be coming from.

Michael Whapples