[Distutils] Setuptools 0.6c10 release imminent; please test

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 03:59:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 07:28 PM 10/12/2009 -0400, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> we must "uninstall Distribute completely" get these fixes.
>
> That's Distribute's doing, not mine.  As I understand it, their package
> includes a 'setuptools' package, and if it's on your sys.path, then
> installing the new version of setuptools will be a no-op.  If they hadn't
> done that, there'd be no problem.  See the Distribute documentation.
>
> In any case, the update is not intended for people who are happy to have
> Distribute, but the people who are unhappy about having to switch, or deal
> with its workarounds...  or just wish the whole discussion would go away.

That's me, along with the other Python users who need this
distutils/setuptools/buildout to work in production and cannot afford
the kind of disruption which 'distribute' will introduce. I'm glad to
see the distribute project in progress with an open development
process but would rather it be used for a new Python 3.x PyPi, where
all the new libraries can include the appropriate support for
distribute (with no need to clean up a vast library of existing PyPi
packages).

Sorry to jump into the middle of a heated debate which I've not
followed closely, but I wanted to provide some feedback that I (and my
employer) am glad to have fixes to setuptools because that provides
critical infrastructure to us today, and if Python 2.6.3 or 2.6.4
contains important fixes, we don't want to get stranded in 2.6.2.