[Distutils] Setuptools 0.6c10 release imminent; please test

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 06:27:56 CEST 2009

2009/10/13 ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com>:
> Then suddenly out of the blue, everything is fixed in setuptools 06c10 and
> we must "uninstall Distribute completely" get these fixes.

Well yes. We knew this would happen sooner or later. It's not a problem.

We all know it would be better if PJE would let others help him, but
he doesn't want to, and that is his right and completely up to him.

Obviously any fixes he does is going to end up in Distribute 0.6.x as
well. They might not be done in exactly the same ways, unless he feels
like explaining why his way is better for each of the fixes. But they
will be fixed in Distribute, and in fact have for the most part
already been fixed.

2009/10/13 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> That's Distribute's doing, not mine.

True. On the other hand, Distribute is your doing, so you aren't
completely blameless. :-)

> In any case, the update is not intended for people who are happy to have
> Distribute, but the people who are unhappy about having to switch, or deal
> with its workarounds...

Absolutely true.

> or just wish the whole discussion would go away.

Well, I sure everyone wants the discussion to go away, but that
probably only happens the day you let others help you.

2009/10/13 Brad Allen <bradallen137 at gmail.com>:
> That's me, along with the other Python users who need this
> distutils/setuptools/buildout to work in production and cannot afford
> the kind of disruption which 'distribute' will introduce.

Disruption?

> I'm glad to
> see the distribute project in progress with an open development
> process but would rather it be used for a new Python 3.x PyPi, where
> all the new libraries can include the appropriate support for
> distribute (with no need to clean up a vast library of existing PyPi
> packages).

If there isn't a migration path where you can support both from the
same codebase, Python 3 is dead. So that is not an option.

> Sorry to jump into the middle of a heated debate which I've not
> followed closely, but I wanted to provide some feedback that I (and my
> employer) am glad to have fixes to setuptools because that provides
> critical infrastructure to us today, and if Python 2.6.3 or 2.6.4
> contains important fixes, we don't want to get stranded in 2.6.2.

There we completely agree. That PJE releases a new version of
setuptools is good. It's not a problem for anyone, and the more
software the merrier.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64