[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:33:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:36:12 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Why are you doing a similar PEP, what's the point ? You've already helped
>> bit.
>
> Tarek,
>
> I championed the use of static metadata on the distutils mailing list
> before you picked it up. Don't you remember?

Frankly, I don't. The first time we've mentioned static metadata was
at Pycon last year.
The first one who mentioned the idea was Eric IIRC, then Matthias and
Tres worked on it.

But who cares ?  I am not claiming any ownership on ideas. I am not
tracking either who
threw which idea. But if someone cares, speak up : I'll detail who participated
in the Acknowledgment section.

I just happen to be the one maintaining PEP 390 and I am trying to collect
ideas here because I am maintaining Distutils so I'll be the one who
will apply the changes there.

> The reason that I am doing an alternate PEP is because it contains
> improvements that would be very useful on windows and linux.
>
> A fair and open development process should mean that people are
> able to freely contribute their ideas and have them evaluated
> on the merits of the idea.

That's exactly how PEP 390 was built. The process is far from being
perfect though,
maybe some ideas didn't make it through. But that's how it goes.

>> I suggest that you help us finishing in the existing PEP 390 instead,
>> by proposing changes.
>
> If I see things I can help with, then I'm happy to do that...

Great then, I am looking forward for its improvements.

Tarek