[Distutils] distribute and buildout: best practices?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Oct 13 22:28:31 CEST 2009

On 2009-10-13, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

[snip]

As I reported a problem with the distribute/buildout combination earlier:

The original problems I reported (and some others that I found) will all be
solved in the upcoming 0.6.5 release!  I worked with tarek today and yesterday
to find (mainly me) and fix (mainly Tarek) small bugs.  It works surprisingly
elegant now.

- You can include distribute safely in a dependency provided it is 0.6.5 or
  better.  Also in buildouts that don't have a new bootstrap.

- A shared eggs directory is no problem.  The setuptools egg stays unmolested
  and coexists happily.

- A new bootstrap is available that elegantly makes sure bin/buildout uses
  only distribute.  This in turn ensures that no setuptools egg will show up
  anywhere else in any of the binaries.

So... later tonight or tomorrow there can be rejoicing in buildout land.  At
least, that's what my automated buildbot tests say :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Software developer at http://www.thehealthagency.com