[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Oct 14 09:06:01 CEST 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:33:26 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The first one who mentioned the idea was Eric IIRC, then Matthias and
> Tres worked on it.

Fine. They've been awfully quiet on distutils-sig lately :-)

> But who cares ?  I am not claiming any ownership on ideas. I am not
> tracking either who threw which idea. But if someone cares, speak
> up : I'll detail who participated in the Acknowledgment section.

People care. Otherwise there wouldnt be discussions about it.

> I just happen to be the one maintaining PEP 390 and I am trying to
collect
> ideas here because I am maintaining Distutils so I'll be the one
> will apply the changes there.

Sure. Well "collect" is a word that means different things to different
people. I'd suggest some caution with using that word internationally
because in some places it really can mean just outright theft. I'm
very sure that that isn't how you want others to interpret your
working process. Please.. don't use that word like that..

Generally though, if somebody maintains a collection, then they're
usually very careful to leave the names of who they got contributions
from.

People are happy to give to collections.

They're less happy finding things that they thought they owned
in somebody elses collection.

I'm sure you know what I mean here...

>>> I suggest that you help us finishing in the existing PEP 390 instead,
>>> by proposing changes.
>>
>> If I see things I can help with, then I'm happy to do that...
>
> Great then, I am looking forward for its improvements.

My biggest concern with your pep is how it can be implemented on
older systems.

My proposal involves a boilerplate setup.py that can read the
metadata and perform the installation. No update to distutils
is required in my proposal.

How are you planning to make yours work?

David