[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 14 13:47:32 CEST 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> What's a few thousand lines of code between friends..

I think that's some quite tough thousand lines, though. You have to know
a lot about the different platforms, and in my experience at least,
designing a good tool and API around this kind of problems is hard.

The good news is that there are existing tools in other environments
which do this in a pretty good way already, so we could steal their idea
and just reimplement the thing for python. This problem space has seen a
lot of new ideas since distutils was implemented ten years ago (and we
can learn from distutils mistakes).

I still like the idea of reusing the same format as .cabal files (see
It does everything you want to do with .cfg files, with the advantage of
being proven for real softwares and more complete. The use of ini-like
files with conditional in sections really feels like an ugly and
inflexible hack for a new system, I am not sure I understand why you
want to use them for a brand-new system where backward compatibility
with setup.cfg isn't a concern ?