[Distutils] Future namespace support

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:31:27 CEST 2009

2009/10/14 kiorky <kiorky at cryptelium.net>:
> As i understood, NS.foo from setuptools can't be imported in NS.bar from pkgutil
> and vice versa.

Oh, in the same namespace? Yeah, that could break. Is that a problem?
Also, pkgutil doesn't know about setuptools, so possibly that breaks,
but its' definitely possible to import a pkgutil namespace from a
setuptools namespace (at least different namespaces). The new function
obviously knows about both pkgutil and setuptools and could therefore
make sure it's compatible.

If it wasn't, it would be completely useless.

> You can't ask everyone to repackage/adapt their existing stuff because of your
> whims.

Obviously.

> Nowodays, lot of packages use setuptools's namespaces, i want them to just work.

I see no reason that they should not continue to work.

> At the moment, the only thing i see is that distribute break many things in many
> places without any sense of backward compatibility for 0.7.

Don't worry about vapourware.

> That's not an answer, that's not viable.

Yes it is. Again: This is backwards compatibility for the package that
sets up the namespace we are talking about here. Not other packages
that doesn't know anything about Distutils. Nobody is proposing that
we break all namespace packages in existance. Neither Tarek nor Martin
is that stupid. Have some trust in people. :-)

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64