[Distutils] Proposal for Distribute 0.7

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Thu Oct 15 22:23:56 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:12 PM, ssteinerX at gmail.com
<ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2009, at 3:55 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:
>
> [a whole bunch of stuff...]
>
> Understood and I've observed the public portions of all of this.  Much of it
> has not been pretty.
>
> Personality conflicts aside, I wonder if it would be possible to move some
> portion of the base of both setuptools and Distribute to some sort of shared
> foundation.

distutils in stdlib seems like this foundation.  I'm not sure it would
be beneficial to inject another layer (and therefore dependency)
between distutils and setuptools/distribute, but will defer that
judgment to the maintainers involved in the 3 projects (distutils,
setuptools, and distribute).

I think everyone would prefer only setuptools or distribute to survive
in the long term as the current situation is less than ideal from a
technical and social standpoint.  When one of these projects
ultimately deprecates the other, any shared foundation they created
would be reduced to needless complexity and cruft.

But I'm just a user/observer like yourself, so someone with a bit more
authority might want to chime in.  :-)

HTH,
Michael Schurter