[Distutils] Proposal for Distribute 0.7

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 23:06:37 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Michael Schurter
<michael at susens-schurter.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:12 PM, ssteinerX at gmail.com
> <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 2009, at 3:55 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:
>>
>> [a whole bunch of stuff...]
>>
>> Understood and I've observed the public portions of all of this.  Much of it
>> has not been pretty.
>>
>> Personality conflicts aside, I wonder if it would be possible to move some
>> portion of the base of both setuptools and Distribute to some sort of shared
>> foundation.
>
> distutils in stdlib seems like this foundation.  I'm not sure it would
> be beneficial to inject another layer (and therefore dependency)
> between distutils and setuptools/distribute, but will defer that
> judgment to the maintainers involved in the 3 projects (distutils,
> setuptools, and distribute).

I'll talk as the Distutils maintainer.

I have been working for quite some in cleaning up Distutils code, and
its test coverage
to make it ready to evolve in 2.7/2.8, 3.2/3.3. This time is coming soon.

The plan is to include bits by bits setuptools goodies into Distutils.

But only through all the legit PEPs work we are doing (PEP
386/376/390) with Distribute *or*
Setuptools being the incubator of those.

But as ssteinerX said, this can ony happen if the incubator of Distutils is
managed like an open-source community project, and that is currenly impossible
in the way Setuptools is managed. Just because this kind of project
needs more that one
involved person.

That's what we are trying to do in Distribute, where there are already
quite a few
python core commiters and buildout experts, and that's why I have
proposed to join forces
there. We worked lately on a daily basis and talk at #distutils on
freenode about it.

Sorry, no one is called "Ian" or "Jim" yet in there. Just 7 or so
people that have been working
for years with packaging and setuptools. That's pretty much the team
which is required for
such a project.

Now, ssteinerX, what do you mean exactly by shared foundation ?

Cheers
Tarek