[Distutils] Proposal for Distribute 0.7

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:05:30 CEST 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 11:41 AM, P.J. Eby wrote:

> At 10:46 AM 10/16/2009 -0400, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:
>> I don't know that I'd call what I saw "designed."   Complex, yes, but
>> design implies a plan and known direction, communicated by design
>> documents with tests that prove the code is working as expected.
>>
>> This is not designed by any objective standard I'd use.
>
> You are correct; setuptools itself was not particularly designed.
> Eggs are, entry points are, a few other odds and ends were designed,
> but setuptools itself (and *especially* easy_install) are a
> collection of hacks upon hacks, mostly done in a rush to get
> something out the door...  which as soon as it became popular,
> locked into a cycle of not having enough time to do improvements,
> because maintenance was taking so much time.

Yup.  Understood.  It's a vicious circle/cycle that I'm sure we've all
been trapped in at one time or another; just not quite so publicly or
with such a large impact on so many people.  And to do it for free,
besides!  Betcha' you'll think thrice next time...and say nah, no
thanks...

>> Maybe PJE is some sort of savant who can keep the myriad details of a
>> piece of code like this in his head
>
> Nope.  Why do you think I've not been thrilled about working on
> it?  ;-)

Welp...here's to hoping you're freed from that burden partially of
your own making if not choosing...