[Distutils] [venv] Re: two questions about virtualenv

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:43:58 CEST 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:

> Jannis Leidel <jannis at leidel.info> writes:
>
>> That'd be very much appreciated, I'm sure the experience of the
>> distribute people would be helpful, too.
>
> I'm not sure I quite approve of their approach, since it makes
> installing Distribute under Python 3 take a very long time - which,
> as a
> result, currently makes creating a virtualenv under Python 3 take a
> very
> long time as well.  Someone was complaining to me about that just
> earlier this week.

Doesn't that also mean that the Python 3 version of Distribute is
generated live on the installation system?  That doesn't seem right
because that leaves the possibility that the code generated by 2to3 is
different from the code that passed the (hypothetical, at this point)
tests before the distribution was created.

I'm going to cross-post this to the distutils list as well.  If the
idea is to stabilize Distribute, get some tests in place, etc. then
this method of distribution  (running 2to3 in situ, as it were) is not
the correct way to do it from a "shipping the tested product"
perspective.