[Distutils] [RFC] Recentering the static metadata need : PKG-INFO

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:19:44 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:03 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 01:53:48 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So far.. so good. It's basically what we proposed earlier in PEP 390, but
>> for
>> the distribution, the desktop (kde, etc)...
> ..
>> That would require a new
>> stdlib module that would be very hard to implement and maintain since
>> it's a fast moving ground.
>
> I didn't see your pep for a new hard to implement stdlib module..
>
> What number PEP was that? :-)

There's no PEP for that because I don't want to add such a module.
The context dependant marker are just relying on os, platform and sys.

> It's either an environment variable or a configuration file.
>
> For example:
>
>  if os.environ['KDEDIR'] <> '':
>
> That's a pretty good check to see if KDE is installed and running
> and won't bomb out, even if you try running it on windows.
>
> Most of these environment variables haven't changed in the last
> 10 years or more. I'd assert that there are some very static
> environment variables in these linux window managers.

If you can find a way to express conditions based on os.environ,
maybe os.environ could be added to the variables that are used
when checking the markers on a given platform.

e.g. like = 'KDEDIR' in os.environ (so meaning we introduce sequence
comparisons/operators
in those markers)

But we can't possibly add in the PKG-INFO description, a hardcoded list
of plaftorms like you have shown (kde, ubuntu, etc).

Do you have an example for a platform that would depend on a
configuration file ?

Tarek.