[Distutils] Brand new, clean server, set up from scratch, buildbot still fails

Steve Steiner ssteiner at mac.com
Mon Oct 19 13:44:56 CEST 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 3:34 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Steve Steiner <ssteiner at mac.com>
> wrote:
>> http://pastebin.com/m69796bc5
>
> sounds like version problems.
>

>> This is running on a bare system, after figuring out which
>> development tools
>> were needed, all the version control systems necessary etc.  I have
>> all that
>> captured in my Fabric script so we're all set for being able to
>> duplicate
>> it.
> I tried to build the buildbot again on debian and Mac OSX and it
> worked fine
> Didn't try on Ubuntu though.
>
> It seems that it's using the buildbot installed in your system, which
> might be the problem
> since the buildout doesn't pinpoint the versions.
>
> Here, I use Python 2.6 and I have:
> - buildbot-0.7.11p3
> - Twisted-8.2.0
> - collective.buildbot-0.3.5
>
> I suggest that you install virtualenv and that your run this sequence
> in an Ubuntu that has all the development tools we have discussed
> (python-dev, zlib, etc) :

The whole idea here is to make a setup script that sets the machine:

	Fire up a new cloud server
	Install whatever software is necessary
	Download the buildbot code
	Build the buildbot
	Start it running for as long as needed
	Kill the server

We pay for the server by the hour (1.5 cents/hr) and can fire up as
many as necessary.

I will put my fabric script up on bitbucket in my clone and you can
pull it over and see what I mean.

Right now, I"m just using a local VM, but the idea would be to put a
fresh one up on Rackspace as needed, then kill when done.

> $ cd /var/
> $ mkdir distutils-bot
> $ cd distutils-bot
> $ virtualenv --no-site-packages .
> $ hg clone https://tarek@bitbucket.org/tarek/distutils-builbot .
> $ bin/python bootstrap.py
> $ bin/buildout -c buildbot.cfg
>
> This is supposed to compile.
>
> Last option: give me an ssh access to your ubuntu box if possible,
> I'll probaby be able to fix it.

I am not looking to hand-fix this, that would be pointless.  I want an
automated build script that will fire up a brand new Ubuntu cloud
server, set up the entire environment, install the buildbot and run.