[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 14:53:31 CEST 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> What we actually need, and I am building, is a setup.py script
> that is going to be a 'trimmed' version of distutils that includes
> all neccessary package/application installation code to do the install
> from the setup.info file.

Be very aware of the problems of proliferating boilerplate code
(buildout has already suffered this):

- old versions will have to work forever

- bug fixes are *very* hard to do

I would like my setup.py to look like:

from xxx import setup
setup()

...and have all the code be in xxx. If xxx is a separately available
package for python<2.7, then fine.

I would prefer to see "hard logic" in setup.py where there is a good
programming language to support it any everything else in setup.cfg
(don't like .info, sorry ;-) ). My hunch is that for 95% of packages,
setup.py will be nothing more than the above...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk