[Distutils] supporting multiple versions of one package in one environment is insane

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 16:12:34 CEST 2009

[moving to disutils-sig where this belongs]

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> where type of problem == sandboxed environment, sure.  How do you solve the
>>> problem for system packagers?
>> What's to stop a system packager either just running the buildout on
>> install, or running the buildout at package build time and then just
>> dropping the resulting environment wherever they want to install
>> applications? Such a package would only be dependent on the right python
>> version at runtime...
>>
> If buildout creates sandboxed environments like virtualenv then everything
> here applies:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

That's fine, buildout can use a shared eggs directory (it's how I run it
by default, to minimise the amount of downloading that goes on). In that
case, there would be no duplication of packages, the "installed app"
would just pick from a folder full of eggs that you could put wherever
your OS wants them...

In short, have multiple versions of a python package on the python path
at the same time is insane ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk