[Distutils] [RFC] PEP 345 and PEP 386 updates

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:33:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:37:48PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
[...]
> > * Added fields:
[...]
> >   - Requires-Dist
> >   - Provides-Dist
> >   - Obsoletes-Dist
> >
> > * Deprecated fields:
> >
> >   - Requires (in favor of Requires-Dist)
> >   - Provides (in favor of Provides-Dist)
> >   - Obsoletes (in favor of Obsoletes-Dist)
>
> Where's the benefit of renaming the above three fields ?
>
> After all, the meta-data format is a distutils specific format,
> so the extra "-Dist" qualifier appears unnecessary.

In PEP 314 the "Requires" field is meant to contain module or packages
names.  Now OTOH it seems people are more interested in the
distribution names.  Making this change explicit is a good thing I
reckon.

(There's a whole other discussion about how it would be easier to
provide an alternative implementation if it was done on module/package
name instead of distribution name, but I haven't got enough experience
with that so am happy to go with what actually seems to be used now.)

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom