[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 09:29:02 CEST 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> So I will build an option in to check on the net for an updated
> version before starting.

That won't fly.

A significant number of people will be installing in situations where
setup.py will have no access to the internet.

Why is it that you basically want to put an entire module's worth of
code inside every single package's setup.py?

Take something like errorhandler:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/errorhandler

The actual code of the package is only about 30 lines long.

Having to include a 500 line setup.py just so I can include metadata in
the packages seem pretty insane ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk