[Distutils] Distribute sprint #1 wrapup

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:39:54 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM, kiorky <kiorky at cryptelium.net> wrote:

> This PEP proposes to keep just one format and make it the standard way to
> install the metadata of a distribution : a distinct .egg-info directory located
> in the site-packages directory, containing the metadata.
>

> There is something i don't understand there:
> Does it imply that having no access on site-packages prevent you from installing
> third party libraries as a limited user?

As it s today, site-packages is just the default place, that is added and scan
when Python starts. And you need root privileges to install packages there.

There's another place where you can use when you are not root:
per-user site packages.

But those two place are just the places for "python-the-package-manager".

> For example, on shared hosting where
> you have limited privileges. Before, i could upload/build some libs and start
> from there using, for exemple, buildout to scan that directory.
> I make assumption that also the entry points are written along the metadata dir.
> That will say that even if i don't have access to the site-packages but i have
> played with sys.path to include my distribution, i won't have its entry points
> (as the egg-info is not there) ?

PEP 376 comes with a set of tools that will allow you to
install/uninstall distributions
in an arbitrary site-packages folder, and play with them. So it
basically makes almost no
differences for tools like zc.buildout-the-package-manager that is
tweaking sys.path in
the generated scripts.

I guess the simplest way will be to make the "eggs" directory a
regular site-package
like folder.  It will even simplify the scripts because you will not
have to add one entry per eggs
there as it is today.

What could be awesome is to see a branch of zc.buildout built against
distribute 0.7
when it starts to be usable, to experiment this.

zc.buildout is a package manager, so it makes it one of the target use
case for PEP 376
and other changes we will provide in distribute.

Tarek