[Distutils] Distribute support added in zc.buildout

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:47:35 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 7:43 AM, kiorky <kiorky at cryptelium.net> wrote:

> Encolpe Degoute a écrit :
>> Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
>>
>> distribution-tool = nothing|setuptools|distribute|pipeau
>
> Although i can maybe make my way with distribute even if it can break backward
> compatibility somehow, I strongly dislike pip too. Moreover, if it's a forced
> choice.

Forced choice ? Not sure to understand that. The Packaging Ecosystem
is currently evolving
a lot because it's badly needed. Distribute will promote pip because
it does want to focus
on being that thin layer on the top of distutils.

But it's an installer. you will be able to write your own once PEP 376
is settled (like PyPM might do)

Please read this thread and all it answers for the motivations we have:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/092754.html

Last, notice is written in stone, you both are very welcome to help us
in the discussions, or in the sprints.

Like the PEPs, the Distribute and Distutils development are a community process.

Tarek