[Distutils] Distribute sprint #1 wrapup

kiorky kiorky at cryptelium.net
Sat Oct 24 11:08:04 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> As it s today, site-packages is just the default place, that is added and scan
> when Python starts. And you need root privileges to install packages there.
>
> There's another place where you can use when you are not root:
> per-user site packages.
>
> But those two place are just the places for "python-the-package-manager".

Correct me if i am wrong but what i have understood is that the egg-info is not
writed along with the "python code" but in another well known place.
From then, how can i do the following as i don't want to be defaulted.
	1. register directoy(ies) where to find distributions.
	2. Register where to install the "python code" (new egg format).
	3. Register where to install "egg-infos"
	4. Be sure that both egg-infos from default places (system, home) AND my
thirdparty place(?) are gathered together if possible. Or maybe just one place
is possible ? In this case, we may need to provide means to assemble the whole
installation to reproduce how things behave today.

Maybe, we can make some additional writing on the PEP to make things clear on
that point, i think that just things need to be clear.

On the same subject, I have another reguard,
It's for eggs actually released as only eggs on pypi, see [1].
How can i install them now ? Can we make wrappers to install them?

I have at least two hosting services that give me access to /var/foo, but the
user has no right either on python installation or its $HOME.

[1] - http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Plomino/1.4

--
Cordialement,
KiOrKY