[Distutils] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 18:10:55 CET 2009

Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/10/20 Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com>:
>> Well, I wanted to move it off python-dev, and I didn't really feel
>> like moving it onto distutils-sig because I felt the debate was not
>> particularly important to introduce the confusion of a half-started
>> thread.
>
> Sorry, I hadn't realised it was on python-dev rather than
> distutils-sig. You're right in that case.
>
>> My point is the bdist_win installers work fine for both your use case,
>> Paul, and Chris' use case, so there's no real conflict.
>
> OK, and yet people still seem to argue for eggs rather than
> bdist_wininst, and projects provide eggs rather than bdist_wininst.
> Something's not working here, even though logic says it should.

Well, speaking only for myself, I never use bdist_wininst packages
because they do no dependency management.

If I release a package that has no external dependencies, I'll stick a
bdist_msi or bdist_wininst if asked, but it's rarely asked for.

 From that I infer that most people use tools like buildout or pip to
manage installation, even on Windows. Again, as a package consumer, I
prefer one cross-platform package management method for Python packages,
regardless of what operating system I happen to be working on at the time...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk