[Distutils] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Oct 28 01:06:11 CET 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 7:41 PM, David Lyon wrote:

> I'm not sure about that Tarek..
>
> An .exe installer as a perfect binary format for python packages?
>
> Are you serious?
>
> That is the biggest security threat I can think of, asking python
> users to run unverified, unsigned, un-trusted executable files on
> their systems.

easy_install, pip, and indeed all of PyPI is basically a system for
executing untrusted code, usually as a system administrator, straight
off of what is effectively a wiki.

If you're concerned about security and distutils, there is a _lot_ of
work to do.  There is no particular additional danger in executing
a .exe rather than a setup.py.