[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 15:23:58 CET 2009

Fred Drake wrote:
> For the many packages that don't need that level of flexibility, using
> a tool that consumes static metadata is a major win, so long as we
> keep in mind that tools need to be able to determine when that static
> metadata is sufficient.  That allows the development of tools that can
> usefully get things done *and* refuse to run untrusted code
> themselves.

I like the idea (I think I saw it in 390 or one of the other PEPs in
this aread) that:

setup()

...would get everyone from the static metadata file, while any keyword
parameters to setup would override the appropriate setting from the
static metadata file...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk