[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Oct 29 01:25:01 CET 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:23:58 +0000, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:
> ...would get everyone from the static metadata file, while any keyword
> parameters to setup would override the appropriate setting from the
> static metadata file...

Hi Chris, David, Fred, Floris, Tarek, PJE, ...

Everybody has been so helpful and I feel that I've now run out
of things to discuss.

I would like to invite everybody to make some sort of contribution
to this, and in return we'll just keep your name as authors of the
various bits/files.

What I am trying to accomplish is a shell based install system for
.EGG/Python packages, along with metadata driven installation. TSo
basically getting all the good ideas that *everybody* has had into
a cohesive (and real) collection.

I'm calling for volounteers/co-owners to:

 - contribute utilities (say, convert existing setup.py files)

 - specify/design/code test cases (different platforms etc)

 - write sphinx documentation (rst)

 - create examples

 - critique

The url is:

  https://bitbucket.org/djlyon/original-setup.py-with-metadata/

If we can complete it and have a working system by December, which
I believe we can, we can find a new name and have a democratic vote
on what that might be.

Thank you everybody

David