[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 30 23:24:50 CET 2009

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> setup()
>>
>> ...would get everyone from the static metadata file, while any keyword
>> parameters to setup would override the appropriate setting from the static
>> metadata file...
>
> I'd rather see the static data in setup.cfg and no setup.py if there's
> no need for custom Python code.

I think "python setup.py install" is so idiomatic that it seems silly to
break it for the sake of two lines of python. There's also an element of
"explicit is better than implicit" in the feel of actually running
setup.py...

> There are too many ways to write
>
>     from distutils.core import setup
>     setup()
>
> to make it useful as a way to say the static metadata is sufficient.

I genuinely don't know what you mean :-S

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk