[Distutils] Distribute 0.6 released

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:11:41 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Tarek,

Hi Chris,

> I've been working on a branch of zc.buildout that uses distribute instead of
> setuptools:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/branches/use_distribute/
>
> ...and I've hit a problem at the first hurdle. I've changed dev.py to use
> distribute, but by the time the subprocess call is made to setup.py, even
> though .../eggs/distribute-0.6-py2.6.egg is on PYTHONPATH, I get:
>
>  File ".../setup.py", line 20, in <module>
>    from distribute import setup, find_packages
> ImportError: No module named distribute

The 0.6 version of Distribute does not contain any "distribute"
package. It contains a "setuptools" packages.

If you want to change zc.buildout in order to use distribute,
you have to change the parts of zc.buildout that works with the
"setuptools" *distribution*
and change them so they work with the "distribute" *distribution*

So the change doesn't really concerns zc.buildout code, but all of its
bootstraping code

This is basically what I have done in this version of the boostrap.py script:

http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/src/af557cf7dc1e/buildout/bootstrap.py

It patches a few functions in zc.buildout that harcode the usage of
setuptools distribution.

Now, as Jim said last month, the best way would be to change zc.buildout
so it uses any one of them (setuptools or distribute), by beaing able
to configure this dependency
instead of having it harcoded in the code.

Now for the next version of distribute (0.7) the current default
branch, it's another story :
everything is being renamed so Distribute doesn't compete anymor with Setuptools
namespace.

Regards
Tarek

--