[Distutils] Static metadata using setup.cfg

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Sep 10 02:23:26 CEST 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:07:30 +1200, Greg Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:
>> or just..
>>
>> [requires linux2]
>>
>> [requires win32]:
>
> Perhaps, if the sets of "tokens" used in the various fields
> one might be interested in are disjoint. It would require
> more intelligence from tools processing the data, though,
> and might be harder to extend to accommodate future
> requirements. Explicit might be better than implicit here.

It was a quick hack...

Usually when installing, different platforms require special
tweeking. What I mean is that on say (weird) platform Z for
some reason some basic thing that is on every other platform
isn't on it.

So what I mean is:

"""
[setup]
name=mywebframework
version=1.5

[dependencies]
packages = mywebtemplates >= 1.5
    objectmapper >= 2.1

[dependencies linux2]
packages = pyopenssl > 1.0
    pyodbc >= 1.5

[dependencies win32]
packages = win32com >= 1.1
"""

So, what this means is that mywebframework always requires
mywebtemplates, but when it is running on linux it needs
pyopenssl, and when it is on win32 it requires win32com.

On win32, there is odbc built in. On linux there is not.

This is a fairly real world example of having different
dependencies on different platforms.

David