[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 12 03:57:28 CEST 2009

At 02:50 AM 9/12/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>it means that we can even provide an XML-RPC service at PyPI so people
>can query the metadata for their platform with zero download and zero
>third-party
>code execution.

Ah, now that does sound rather useful, as it would allow installation
and similar tools to resolve dependencies without first needing to
build or download binaries.

>I can see a use case of the configure.py file you are describing:
>prepare the compilation some C Extensions by looking for some libs etc,
>
>But that's something that can already be done with setup.py when you build
>or install the distribution.
>
>So what would be the metadata field that would require to look for a
>library location ?

I had in mind that if you had such a configure script, it could also
generate a manifest of files to be installed, e.g. translation files,
docs, data, scripts, etc., for the use of a simplified installer
system.  (Ala the BUILDS proposal of about a year ago.)