[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:50:36 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:02:53PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
> <floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 05:14:58PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> > [...]
> >> That can be dropped since we have '==' and it's all strings.
> >
> > '2.6' < '2.10'?
> >
> > Although not close you must be wary of this.  Bring on PEP 386 ;-)
>
> Right. Maybe we can drop < >, >= and >=, completely.
>
> In real world use cases, we can use "or" to make a section work for
> 2.6, 3.1, etc.. for python versions.
>
> I can't think of a use case where "in" and "==" is not enough.

Version comparison would be nice though.  Taking your example from
your blog post: if I where to try to install that on Python 2.4 I'd
have to edit the condition of the [py25] section to "in ('2.4',
'2.5')".  Maybe this is what you want though, in case you explicitly
don't support for 2.4.  OTOH it's nice if things would just work in
case of developers simply not having tried earlier versions.

This also shows how "in" implies a tuple or a list as data type, your
mini-language was trying to avoid that.  Or did I miss something?

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom