[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Sep 15 23:12:46 CEST 2009

At 01:46 PM 9/15/2009 -0700, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
>Conditional metadata for Python versions does not have to be very
>complicated in my opinion. Simply have the following in setup.cfg, and
>thus in PKG-INFO:
>install_requires = ['lxml', 'multiprocessing[pyver<(2,6)]', 'argparse',

If you spelled that [python-lt-26] and [platform-windows], it'd even
be syntax compatible with today's setuptools; there'd just need to be
a way to specify default "extra" tags to be always
installed.  (Technically, '.', and '_' characters would be usable as
well as '-'.)

>I don't imagine fields other than `install_requires` to vary based on the
>target environment.

I have a package or two that change py_modules and the like based on
environment, but I could probably refactor them to use separate installation.