[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 12:41:19 CEST 2009

2009/9/16 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> At 12:16 PM 9/16/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:42 AM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What use cases do we have?  There's the one described above, which lots
>> > of
>> > people have been talking about.  I think there's another one related to
>> > target Python version - eg, on Python 2.3, depend on simplejson, but on
>> > Python 2.6, don't.  What else?
>>
>> So if I resume, so far the uses cases are:
>>
>> - the OS given by os.name and sys.platform (linux/mac/windows/riscos/ce/
>> etc..)
>> - the architecture, given by os.uname() (32/64 bits)
>> - the python version, given sys.version_info
>
> Do we have anything besides dependencies that change based on the above?  If
> not, then we might be able to address this with the "extras" syntax
> mechanism already present in install_requires, and we might able to do it
> without even changing that syntax.

There will be several fields that will be usable in these sections
(see PEP 341 - which is being reworked
by Tres Seaver in a branch)

Also, if I understand clearly the idea, I find it rather cryptic to
add conditions to each dependency
like what Sridhar has shown. So one dependency is decoupled from the
environment conditions
we want to express.

Tarek

--