[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Sep 17 15:53:23 CEST 2009

At 12:41 PM 9/17/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>Also, if I understand clearly the idea, I find it rather cryptic to
>add conditions to each dependency
>like what Sridhar has shown.

That's actually not how it would work; you simply put section
headings inside the extras_require field, rather than having multiple
sections in setup.cfg.  Then, the "static metadata" is just the
existing PKG-INFO format.

Setuptools already supports section headings in extras_require, it
just doesn't (yet) automatically install the contents of those
sections based on platform/python version; you'd have to explicitly
request "easy_install somepackage[platform.win32,pyver-2.6]" at the
moment.  But adding automatic defaulting of those flags would be
pretty trivial, once their format was officially defined.

See
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#declaring-extras-optional-features-with-their-own-dependencies
for more details.