[Distutils] non-ascii characters in long description

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Sep 17 20:31:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 03:46:27PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:

> >> Mmm, I've fixed that problem in Distutils code in 2.6+  IIRC
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/distutils/command/register.py", line 257, in post_to_server
> >    value = unicode(value).encode("utf-8")
> > UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 6030:
> >  ordinal not in range(128)
>
> Yes that's the one I've fixed. You have to backport a fix in your
> setup.py if python < 2.6

I think you mean <= 2.6; I was seeing this problem with 2.6.2.

It's good to know this is going to be fixed in 2.7.

> You can register.patch post_to_server to pre-process all values in the
> "data" argument, so they are
> all in unicode, then call the real one.

This sounds mysterious; I'll wait and look at Reinout's package in a
while (assuming he choses to do this).

> That's hackish, but at least unicode() won't break anymore when called
> on already decoded strings eg unicode objects.

Marius Gedminas
--
Westheimer's Discovery:
        A couple of months in the laboratory can