[Distutils] Static metadata using setup.cfg

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Sep 18 15:13:54 CEST 2009

Chris Withers wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>> [setup.cfg]
>>>
>>> long_description_path: README.txt

>>> Why this requirement?
>>
>> Where this external file would it be located ?
>> There's just *one* metadata file that contains everything.
>
> Fine, so when you generate setup.cfg from setup.cfg.in, process the
> long_description_path at that point and only insert the resulting
> long_description in setup.cfg .

Exactly.

And I'll probably not use a setup.cfg.in, I'll have some other mechanism
for creating setup.cfg (from a variety of company-specific config files)
for my own internal packages. But it won't make a difference, as long as
a correct setup.cfg gets generated.

Which is why I think that while setup.cfg.in might be useful for many
people, it's not the important part. It's setup.cfg that needs to be
nailed down.

Eric.