[Distutils] Comments on Python 3 support for Distribute.

Wolfgang Schnerring wosc at wosc.de
Sat Sep 19 07:27:55 CEST 2009

* Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> [2009-09-18 15:46]:
> 2009/9/18 Alex Grönholm <alex.gronholm at nextday.fi>:
>> This should not be necessary. The run_2to3 keyword argument to setup() is
>> the way to go.
>> I haven't had a good chance to check out Martin's work, but
>> if that option is missing, I'll add it.
>
> Nah, I'll already added it, but not pushed it yet. :) I want
> confirmation from the list, and some more testing.
> (I'm using zope.interface as a testing platform at the moment).

The idea of this *not* being a setup() argument was to keep
compatibility with setuptools (since it will complain about arguments it
doesn't understand). This would enable a package to use setuptools or
distribute (or whatever ;) for python2, and only require distribute for
the python3/2to3 goodness.

Wolfgang