[Distutils] stdeb-0.3 error

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat Sep 19 18:23:41 CEST 2009

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>>> What you want to do is probably possible, but I don't have the
>>> motivation to do it myself. I guess it could allow a bdist_deb option,
>>> but IMO that's not particularly desirable -- the Debian source package
>>> emitted by stdeb can be compiled for any Debian derivative for any
>>> version (provided the dependencies are met)
>>>
>> Having a single command for .deb doesn't preclude stdeb from emitting
>> source package .dsc.
>>

> OK, if you're sure... :)
>
> I'd suggest attempting to add a "bdist_deb" command to stdeb's
> stdeb/command/ directory for use with distutils. Then register it with
> entry_points in the setup.py file.
>
> Note that you wouldn't want bdist_deb to inherit the binary generation
> stuff from bdist_dumb or friends -- you'd specifically want to call out
> the the appropriate debian command (dpkg-buildpackage).
>
> I'd be happy to include such a thing with stdeb, though I'd probably not
> use it much myself -- I like having a single source package that I just
> recompile for the different distributions.

Well, I think it would be better if it were part of stdeb.
And I like calling it 'bdist_deb'.  That makes sense.  And it should
emit the .dsc as well as the .deb.
My use case is providing consumers of my apps with a way to gen their
own source and binary packages without them needing to know anything
about the "mechanics" of the process.  I've already got good feedback on
this with 'bdist_rpm' and if we had 'bdist_deb' then that would add a
good deal more capability.  For bdist_rpm we drive it from setup.cfg and
would be good if bdist_deb configuration behavior would be the same.

Regards,
Gerry