[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Sep 21 09:20:22 CEST 2009

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:52:22 +1000, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:
>> It's just plain unreasonable to expect windows users to resort to a
>> command line in this day and age.
>
> No, I think the attitude of these statements is unreasonable. I also
> find it staggeringly condescending.

What? to say windows users don't like command lines...

It's perfectly true. Not condescending.

> Windows users are no less capable of
> learning how to use the systems they're interested in, nor are they less
> capable of using cross-platform tools than users of other platforms.

That's your opinion..

> You can't have it both ways; earlier in the same message you argued
> exactly that Windows *is* somehow special, in that its users are
> incapable of operating equivalent tools tha the rest of us use.

"Special" is your word not mine. I never said that.

All I said was that use of the command line has disappeared from popular
use in windows. To the point where not many people these days even know of
its existence.

Since the late 1990's, every windows programming language except python has
had a gui package management tool included. I'm talking Visual Basic,
Delphi and the microsoft products.

> I happen to think that's wrong: that, instead, Windows is a major
> platform..

Most of us know that..

> No need to special-case Windows users; make available tools that operate
> in a similar way as the rest of us have. If they want the operating
> system to work better with others, they can take the same responsibility
> as the rest of us: pressure their OS vendors to fix the problems, or get
> involved to work on it themselves. Either way, they don't deserve
> special treatment just for being Windows users.

What "special" treatment are you saying windows users enjoy?

David