[Distutils] Comments on Python 3 support for Distribute.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 12:04:27 CEST 2009

2009/9/21 Wolfgang Schnerring <ws at gocept.com>:
> Very much agreed, let's use setup() arguments.

Great. I've checked in some docs too, I expanded the section on Python
3 support and ended up creating a new document, python3.txt. Feedback
on that is appreciated.

Also, feedback on the naming of the keywords is appreciated. Yes, I
know it's bikeshedding, but I find the current parameter names clunky,
but have no better ideas.

    Convert the source code from Python 2 to Python 3 with 2to3 during the
    build process.

    List of doctest source files that need to be converted with 2to3.
    See :doc:`python3` for more details.

    A list of modules to serach for additional fixers to be used during
    the 2to3 conversion. See :doc:`python3` for more details.

If better names for these can be invented before the first release
that would probably be beneficial.
(run_2to3 I find OK, though, it's basically the other ones).

+33 661 58 14 64