[Distutils] stdeb-0.3 error

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Sep 21 21:27:52 CEST 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Andrew,  Ok, .deb is building fine using modified stdeb 0.3 on hardy.
> I've installed the .deb and it works.
>
> I can see that stdeb is using debhelper which I really don't know much
> about.  So it looks like debhelper or dh_make is generating the
> control files. What I need is someway that in myapp maybe under a
> debian/ directory, I can create postinst and prerm files and then
> stdeb would look for those in the orig tarball and use them if found.
> Is this possible?
The debian packaging machinery invoked by dpkg-buildpackage will pick up
any scripts named my-package-name.preinst, my-package-name.postinst,
my-package-name.prerm, my-package-name.postrm that happen to be in the
debian/ directory. See
http://sdn.vlsm.org/share/Debian-Doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html
for more info. So you have to modify stdeb to drop the appropriate files
in there if they're given as a config argument to stdeb. The stdeb
master branch already creates such a file for housekeeping reasons (see
commit
http://github.com/astraw/stdeb/commit/9faaf049a1a7fbd8f5e1fb658248013f208f398c
where I added this).

-Andrew