[Distutils] disabling --single-version-externally-managed in stdeb 0.3.x

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Sep 25 00:11:15 CEST 2009

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> Andrew,
>> Here's another patch attempt. Is this what you had in mind?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gerry
>>
> OK, I looked at this, and now I'm throughly confused by what you are
> trying to do. Back to your big picture, as I understood it, you were
> trying to avoid importing setuptools because you derive some distutils
> commands and you don't want to derive from the setuptools versions. And
> the --single-version-externally-managed was giving you problems because
> that's not supported by distutils.
>
> But A) I can't see how this patch would address the issue of setuptools
> not being imported, because that still happens.
Yes, inside the 'run' method within the 'bdist_deb' distutils command I
had imported setuptools there but not at the top of setup.py.

> And B) the patch as you
> sent it was incomplete, requiring more work on my part even to be able
> to get it to run without raising exceptions. So I'm not sure that I
> actually "get" what your patch does here. I attempted to do my best and
> have now started a branch for this patch and subsequent efforts. See
> http://github.com/astraw/stdeb/tree/gerry-reno . My testing on this
> issue has been based on the version in this branch. Please either submit
> any patches off the old-stable branch or extending this gerry-reno branch.

The patch looks for the option
'--ignore-single-version-externally-managed' and then accordingly sets
an env var that is used in the install line.

This looked like a reasonable way to control behavior inside the rules.
That's why I was asking if that is what you had in mind.

I'll look at the branches and what needed to be added.

Regards,
Gerry