[Distutils] Installing stdeb on vanilla Ubuntu

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sun Sep 27 20:38:31 CEST 2009

Olof Bjarnason wrote:
> Hi distutils!
>
> So I'm quite sure stdeb is the tool for "py2deb" I'm looking for.
>
> What are the "correct" steps of installing this tool, assuming
> Ubuntu9.04. I guess I need this:
>
> 1. Python (check)
> 2. distutils (check)
> 3. setuptools (dunno? how do I install?)
> 4. stdeb (how do I install correctly?)
>
> As all of you know by now, I'm fairly new to distutils, PyPI, eggs,
> cheesecake, setuptools and stdeb. It's a whole new universe! :)

Hi Olof,

For ubuntu 9.04, you will need stdeb 0.4 (the current git master
branch), which isn't released yet. I consider
http://github.com/astraw/stdeb/issues/#issue/10 to be blocking the
release of 0.4.

Stay tuned... with luck I'll find a workaround today. But I'm interested
in seeing the resolution to the debhelper bug (Debian bug #548392) so I
can account for that, too.

-Andrew