[Distutils] Installing stdeb on vanilla Ubuntu

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Sep 28 00:08:59 CEST 2009

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Olof Bjarnason wrote:
>
>> Hi distutils!
>>
>> So I'm quite sure stdeb is the tool for "py2deb" I'm looking for.
>>
>> What are the "correct" steps of installing this tool, assuming
>> Ubuntu9.04. I guess I need this:
>>
>> 1. Python (check)
>> 2. distutils (check)
>> 3. setuptools (dunno? how do I install?)
>> 4. stdeb (how do I install correctly?)
>>
>> As all of you know by now, I'm fairly new to distutils, PyPI, eggs,
>> cheesecake, setuptools and stdeb. It's a whole new universe! :)
>>

> Hi Olof,
>
> For ubuntu 9.04, you will need stdeb 0.4 (the current git master
> branch), which isn't released yet. I consider
> http://github.com/astraw/stdeb/issues/#issue/10 to be blocking the
> release of 0.4.
>
> Stay tuned... with luck I'll find a workaround today. But I'm interested
> in seeing the resolution to the debhelper bug (Debian bug #548392) so I
> can account for that, too.

OK, I have uploaded stdeb 0.4 to http://pypi.python.org/pypi/stdeb/0.4
(Also 0.3.1 to http://pypi.python.org/pypi/stdeb/0.3.1 )

The README.rst file in there should hopefully have enough to get you
started (presuming your setup.py file works).

I'll make an announcement once the dust settles from the hosting
company's computer move. (github is switching to rackspace today.)

-Andrew