[Distutils] bdist dist-dir

Ernesto Posse eposse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 03:50:55 CEST 2010

Hi. I have a couple of questions regarding the installation directory
when using binary distributions. When I do

python setup.py bdist

the generated gztar ball contains the files prefixed with the
directory where they will be unpacked, which in my machine is
"./usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages", which is fine if the user
has the same version of Python installed in the same directory as I
do, but in general this is not the case. So my questions are:

1) why is this the behaviour of bdist?
2) is there a way to specify "install wherever the user has Python
installed" with binary distros? the --relative option still seems to
assume certain prefixes.
3) if I used sdist instead, running python setup.py install would
install in the right place, but I want to distribute pre-compiled C
extensions. What is the most appropriate way of doing this? a bdist
seems the most natural, but it seems to assume certain target
directories. I suppose one could do an sdist and include the compiled
extensions as "data files" but that seems like a hack against the
"spirit" of distutils.
4) there is a build_rpm command. Why isn't there a build_deb? and are
there any plans to add this?

Thanks.

--
Ernesto Posse

Applied Formal Methods Group - Software Technology Lab
School of Computing
Queen's University - Kingston, Ontario, Canada