[Distutils] namespace packages

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Wed Apr 21 16:30:28 CEST 2010

Manlio Perillo wrote:
> Hi.
> I would like to use support to namespace packages in setuptools, however
> I have some doubts.
> * will this feature be supported for future setup tools?
> * is it efficient to use?
I have heard that it is slow if you're operating on NFS, as it causes
lots more filesystem operations than non-namespace packages. This is why
we're not considering it for matplotlib.

> * any reason why one should not use it?
Apart from the above, my colleague has had trouble getting it to work
with py2exe. (But apparently bbfreeze does work with namespace packages.)