[Distutils] namespace packages

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 03:18:32 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Manlio Perillo
<manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:

> * will this feature be supported for future setup tools?
> * is it efficient to use?

It is slower than "conventional" packages import. I still don't
understand the whole implementation well, but I think there is an
inherent added cost (i.e. any namespace implementation will cost
something), even though the implementation could be better (setuptools
namespace implementation depends on pkg_resources, which is a
complicated and quite slow piece of code).

Whether it matters entirely depends on what you are doing.

> * any reason why one should not use it?

If you already depend on setuptools in your package, I would say there
is not much reason. One problem with the setuptools implementation is
that several packages sharing the same namespace have files in common,
which is often a pain to package generally for native packages (be it
linux packages and otherwise). Removing this limitation is one of the
stated goal of PEP 382.

cheers,

David