[Distutils] install --dry-run broken?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Apr 22 21:50:41 CEST 2010

At 02:54 PM 4/22/2010 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I tried the distutils example:
>   http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html#a-simple-example
>   python2.6 setup.py install --dry-run
>(or python2.6 setup.py install -n)
>installed the package.
>Am I missunderstanding something? Or is --dry-run an april fool's
>joke? :)

It appears the issue is that this has always been broken in
distutils.  What you need to do is:

    python2.6 setup.py --dry-run install

(Or -n).

The problem is that the 'install' command doesn't pass on its local
--dry-run flag to any of the subcommands that do the real work.

Probably, the --dry-run option should be dropped from the individual
commands altogether in distutils2, with only a global flag being allowed.