[Distutils] How can I silence setuptools/distutils output in a custom command?

Jason Baker jbaker at zeomega.com
Thu Apr 29 20:05:41 CEST 2010

I've written a simple setuptools command that will read options from a
setup.cfg.  The code is here:
http://github.com/jasonbaker/rdopts/blob/master/rdopts.py

I'd like to be able to use the output of this command to pass to other
programs, but that is a bit difficult when distutils is writing "running
rdopts" out every time I use it.  The solution I found is to just call
distutils.log.set_threshold(ERROR) at import time, but that just feels like
a recipe for something to go wrong.  Are there any better ways to do this?